Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate in Belgium for Passchendaele 100

Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Duke and Duchess are in Belgium to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the battle of Passchendaele, aka the Third Battle of Ypres. I do love seeing these two at World War commemorations. William and Kate draw the spotlight wherever they go, and it has been really fascinating to learn more about the battles that were fought and the sacrifices that were made as I have followed my favorite fashionista. 


The Battle of Passchendaele was one of the bloodiest of World War I, which is sadly a real achievement. It is important to remember that many of these battles were not a day long or several days, but months. Passchendaele stretched to November and claimed a staggering several hundred thousand lives.




This story of a father and son dying within an hour of each other brings the individual side of the tragedy into some perspective. 


William gave brief remarks that were really well done.



The ceremony was beautiful, and included this moment where over 54,000 poppy petals were released onto the gathered guests. 

Kate and William were accompanied by Rebecca Deacon and Miguel Head:


The young royals joined Queen Mathilde and King Phillipe in 2014 to mark the centenary of WWI's commencement and to pay tribute to the "Lost Generation." I cannot believe this was three years ago. It feels like just yesterday. 


Today both Kate and the Queen stuck to the same color palette, with Mathilde in a grey-blue and Kate in her white McQueen from Charlotte's christening. 


She also was recycling a hat that didn't get rave reviews on its first go-round. This is the white John Locke hat that Kate debuted at Trooping the Colour in 2015. At that event I was a little distracted, but I don't think I loved it. It certainly didn't age well, either. Just in the past few months I came across it and thought how unfortunate a design it has. Today, however, I actually thought it looked really good with this ensemble! 

Via @ForcesRecruits
It is an unusual hat at the best of times, but it didn't jump out so much with a white ensemble as it did contrasted against the blue floral coat-dress Kate initially debuted it with. The Duchess was carrying a clutch by Anne Grand-Clément and wearing her faux pearl earrings and brooch from Balenciega. I really don't like the matching necklace Kate has worn on several other occasions, but I do like these earrings and the brooch.


Kate's shoes are still the subject of hot debate. Gianvito Rossi and Emmy London are both in contention. I'll let you know what the ultimate consensus is, if one is reached.



This is the third time Kate has worn this coat, and it is always a success. I think it should receive special points for somehow transforming a hat that I think most everyone has tagged as a mistake and making it look great. Kate's more polished hair style (chignon as opposed to loose looks) may have contributed to the transformation, but I think it is a safe bet that this is best this hat will ever look.


Prince Charles will join his son and daughter-in-law tomorrow for the second day of remembrance.




24 comments:

  1. Not the dreaded bathtub hat! I was so hoping she had passed that one on to Charlottes dress up box. Are those new shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, you might want to have a look at the hats the soldiers were wearing in the battle of Passchendaele. It might change your mind about this hat.

      Delete
    2. Anon 1:26, Are you suggesting Kate wore this hat to echo an upside army helmet?

      Anon 1:17

      Delete
    3. live now

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo

      Delete
    4. Well, I may be in the minority, but I prefer this hat to the one Kate wore following day.

      Delete
  2. Kate looks lovely. She really has grown into her role. Quite a change from when they were dating. I don't understand the British need to always wear a hat, (more lady like? Respectful?), but at least she has a lot to choose from 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queen Mathilde, of Belgian, was wearing a hat, too.
      ~ A

      Delete
    2. Ladies of the BRF (and most other royal families) wear hats for military occasions.
      I have been watching the TV coverage--Catherine looked elegant as usual. I wasn't keen on this particular hat when she wore it before, but it looked perfect for this occasion.
      Her white outfit seemed very suitable and she was easily spotted amongst the VIPs

      Delete
  3. http://tvcatchup.com/watch/bbctwo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cream and the grey!!! The purse pulls it all together. Not a fan of the hat, but Kate looks lovely and rested so soon after returning from Germany. --J

    ReplyDelete
  5. to rewatch today's commemorations on BBC iPlayer:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0906hpg


    tomorrow's commemorations on BBC 1:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09098mn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when Kate repeats an outfit! Its so much like real life. A few years ago I had a clothing fast and didn't buy any new clothing for a year. It taught me so much. As much as I love all of Kate's outfits... I'd love to challenge her to shop her closet for a year. I'm sure she'd come up with some beautiful combinations! And the world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Mathilde's hat. Kate's--not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 54,000 falling poppy petals was the most moving part for me. What a terrible battle. We are so grateful to those men who made the ultimate sacrifice.
    It was nice to see Kate recycle such a lovely coat. I agree with you, Jane, that Kate's updo made the hat look so much better this time around. On its debut, I thought it was the worst hat Kate has ever worn. But paired with this ensemble, it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could not agree more with your opinion on the clothes - from the dislike for the big pearl dangling necklace to your reconsideration of this hat. I love those shoes, so much more sophisticated than the Sledges in the picture from the previous visit! She looks sharp and ladylike. Such a win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is the story behind the brooch? An inexpensive fashion piece Kate added to her wardrobe? Belonging to the Queen? Associated with military events?
    ~ A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks to me like it matches the earrings but I could be wrong since she also has a necklace and ring that goes with those particular earrings. Not sure if there's any significance, but the design of the brooch - with the two straight rows of pearls - somewhat echoes the rows of military medals on Williams jacket.

      Delete
  12. On one of the last pictures you can see that Kate is wearing 3 rings. Her wedding band, her engagement ring and a third one.

    I first thought it is part of her engagement ring. For example a second "ring" to stable the hole ring. But i looked up some pictures and could see that she is sometimes wearing two and sometimes three rings.

    Is it possible that the third ring is another addition to her jewelerybox? Another blog said it is an eternity ring...
    Or could it be the wedding ring of William and she is wearing it because he doesn´t ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been wearing that eternity ring since George's birth.

      Delete
  13. As I have continued to read, while not being a regular contributor to comments anymore, I have to jump in and say that I love what Kate is wearing from the neck down although the jury is still out on the toilet bowl hat. I love the combination of the pearl brooch with the poppy and Queen Mathilde has on some great shoes. The real reason I'm commenting today is to say that the music accompanied with the poppy petals is so moving. Thank you, Jane, for including this video. Being somewhat of a WWI and WWII buff (who had parents, grandparents, and great uncles who fought in both) I appreciate these visits so much and I am so happy that these young royals are keeping alive the memory and honor of those who fought and sacrificed all they had.

    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Robin.

      Delete
    2. Hi Robin, it's so nice to see another comment from you. You are missed. :-)

      Delete
  14. Hello Jane, look forward to a new post regarding Kate's replacement for the lovely & loyal Rebecca née Deacon now Priestly. Your thoughts & insight will be most interesting. I think it will be most unusual for the replacement being so much older to carry the flowers, & miscellaneous gifts. Also not having a lot in common for car conversation & laughter & friendship. The plus would be the replacements ability to schedule for Kate, which Rebecca has done so flawlessly. Look forward to your perspective.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!